Thursday, July 2, 2009

The journey (30 July 09)

“Are you ready for an exciting adventure ahead?” I received this message as I was waiting in line to check my baggage in, at the MSP international airport. Ahead of me lies a 24 hour journey to the southern tip of the African continent.

“With an apple in my bag and a credit card in my wallet? Absoluetly yes,” I replied, “I just have to mentally prep myself on the 24 hour journey ahead.” The day of travel was tiring, but I was thankful for the movie service on both flights (MSP to Amsterdam and then onto Cape Town). On the flight to Amsterdam, I sat beside an Italian woman, who was rather quiet, so I spent my time watching movies instead.

On the second flight, I felt more self-conscious, because almost everyone there looked like… a European. The plane was boeing 777 and it was full; perhaps close to 400 passengers. But there was one East Asian, an African and an Indian couple. That was it.

Those around me spoke either Dutch or German. I couldn’t tell. The dominance of whites that have the privilege to travel to and from the land of black origins made me wonder if this is a prelude to the many socio-economic disparities along racial lines. These would become more apparent as I spend the next 2 months in this country.


The snowflakes that formed on the window by my seat. (Flight from MSP to Amsterdam).


At the Amsterdam Airport where I had a 3.5 hour Lay Over

1 comment:

  1. Hey Khant Khant! I hope things are well. I just went for a long run today, and wished you were there for encouragement :)

    That's an interesting point about the racial break-down of the passengers. I wonder if it has something to do with the airline(s) you flew. Also, I wonder if the Caucasians on the flight were predominantly tourists or white residents of South Africa.

    ReplyDelete