Tuesday, August 18, 2009

At the count of 3, I want you to put your hands on...

Your biggest sexual organ!

That was one of the ways we (the team of educators at Think Twice) engage the youths to talk about sexuality, relationship and marriage. Think Twice has a program that lasts for 6 weeks, engaging to 15 year old students about these issues.

In South Africa, where single parenting and teenage pregnancies are common, the efforts of organizations like Think Twice becomes increasingly important. Surprisingly, I find the youths here engaged, and eager to learn about these issues. And some of them, I must say, are very sensible. There was a boy who asked about HIV testing, one who was mature enough to discuss promiscuity and many, who voiced their views against premarital sex.

In the past 4 weeks that I had been assisting to teach the lessons, I have learnt many lessons myself. Think Twice is careful in making sure that the lessons are not dictative for the kids; instead of preaching abstainance, the lessons are designed to present the consequences of having premarital and casual sex. I also find the structure of the lessons interactive, with games, discussions and exercises.

One example is the "biggest sexual organ" exercises, where the instructor asks the kids to put their hands on what they think is their biggest sexual organ, while the instructor places hands on head, pointing out that sex starts in your head. Of course this exercise is greeted with uncomfortable and shy giggles, but it also makes the kids remember and start thinking...

And in some sense, being one of the presenters, I found myself thinking about the issues presented, and learning from my colleagues. My colleague, Moussa, is extremely skilled at presenting difficult ideas and values across, without making it sound dictative.

Standing in front of the class and teaching, it builds up public speaking skills and guage the audience's attentiveness and find ways engage them, if I found that they are drifting off... My colleague, Juliet is especially good at this, and her sense of humor helps a lot as well.

From the kids, I learnt how it was like to be an inquisitive, and the value of questioning, and learning, and also, having someone as a guide to talk about the issues that were considered "taboo". Watching them, I am also reminded of myself, when I was in Singapore, and I cannot help but compare the education systems of Sg, Burma and US to South Africa (possibly another post).

Even the 6am alarm clock calls and going to work in the squished mimi-taxi (there are usually 22 passangers on board, when the max number should have been 13-15) before the sunrise with Angie has become an activity I enjoy.

It is for all these reasons that I will miss working with Think Twice, when I leave Cape Town next Wednesday. But I am sure that if I ever come back to this city, Think Twice would have done several impactful lessons, engaging the lives of many young South Africans, and it is indeed, a privilege to have worked with such an organization!

My colleague, Juliet expaining the different STDs, and the wheel of sexuality to the kids.


The children, putting their hands in the air, before doing the biggest organ exercise.



My colleagues who I would dearly miss. From the back:

Moussa, the father figure, from Congo
Angie, my travelmate, from UK
Juliet, a Cape Townian, with a great sense of humor
and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment