Friday, July 17, 2009

Languages of South Africa

ွSouth Africa is probably the country with the most number of national languages. There are 11 mother tongues in total, with English as the administrative language, bringing the number of national languages up to 12 in total.

I learnt a couple of words here and there...
molo= hello in Xhosa, the language with the "clicks" and "clocks", mostly used by the Black South Africans
unjani= How are you?

Hue-ya-mor-ra= good morning, in Afrikaans, a tongue spoken by mostly white South Africans.

But the words I learnt hard are the South African terms regarding meeting times. A friend of mine who was picking me up from my apartment to go for dinner texted me: "we are here just now." I was confused, and I called her to ask, "Do you mean you were here and you have left?"

She replied that she was just turning into Plein Street. (Plein Street turns into Roeland Street, where I live now).

Later, I found out the different translation for these English terms in South Africa:

Just now= In a while
Now= probably on the way
Now now= in about 5-30 minutes
On my way= I just woke up

I think I have solved just one of the many cultural diversities between South Africa and the places I have been; I am keeping open eyes and ears for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment