Friday, August 14, 2009

Would you leave all that you have behind, because you were treated too well?

Today, I was at my internship organization, making games for the children. There, I met a fellow volunteer, whom I thought has a story that is very inspiring.

She is a white South African who has lived in the states for 40 years. Many of the whites here have connections/families overseas, but for this women, she knew no one when she left for the states at the age of 17. That was nothing extraordinary, but her reason for leaving was. She left her home, her family and her life here, because she thought she was in such a position of privilege during the apartheid years. She couldn't stand the way the coloured and blacks were considered second and third class citizens. She couldn't stand being in areas where it was off-access to the other races.

And so, she packed her bags and left for a New York City. She didn't know anyone there, and during that time (1970s), there wasn't internet/phones to keep in touch with her family. To go through that, just because you were treated too well? I thought that was a very brave decision for her to make, and I am inspired by the humanity and conscience she has in her!

1 comment:

  1. Ask me when you get back to Carleton. If you remember to ask, I'll have an answer.

    ReplyDelete