Monday, September 14, 2009

Hakuna Matata

A Kiswahilii word we are all familar with, but rarely know the meaning of. In 2 weeks that I had been in Kenya, I have learnt to to know and live the word, Hakuna Matata-it means no Worries.
A simple routine life that I had been missing in a while, I now have a pretty fixed schedule to my days, and it goes like this:
I wake up at 6.10, go for a jog, a bucket shower, breakfast (milky chai with ginger and break) and walk to school.
At 8.30 Swahili lessons start and there are 5 different teachers that take turns to teach us. Apart from the language, the teachers also tell us where they are from and bits and pieces of the Kenyan culture. And on Friday, they taught us a drinking song!
12-2 is lunch break and the rest of the students would eat out, but because I live so close to school, I would go home to eat. That's also when I practice my Kishwahilii with the house help. She is from Uganda and probably the main reason for me picking up the lanugage quickly.
2-4 is usually lessons on Kenya society or development. Or we would do site visits to different NGOs in Nairobi. Last week, we did a site visit to a local clinic in Africa's biggest slum: Kirbera....the living conditions there are very pitiful! They are living right by traintracks, in shacks (houses made of loose tin sheets). When we got there... the kids were all lined outside, chanting "how are you", perhaps not knowing what they are saying at all... so we restorted to saying HOW ARE YOU. as well...
after school, I would do homework with my host brother... he helps me with Swahili, I help him with Science and English. I would help to cook dinner afterwards... and dinner with family then news... we sleep pretty early, say around 10/11...
What a worry-less life, huh?


















































3 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! Such simple subjects, yet the concentration and care that went into the shots makes them so expressive.

    The routine sounds nice, and similar to mine (minus the jogging part- if I tried to jog, I'd get hit by a rickshaw and die!)- I get up early, walk to school, eat breakfast, class, etc, come home/eat/talk to family, then sleep. Hopefully that will change this weekend with some adventures in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Khant Khant!

    I love hearing about your every day life. I cannot imagine all the wonderful people you are meeting and the inspiration you are getting for a future in international development. I count down the days until we can sit at our bench and talk about how life (and our perspectives of it) has changed in the past year. Continue to enjoy this adventure and know we back at Carleton are thinking of you.

    Love
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mumbai the economic capital of India has a

    website called Mumbai Shopping. The website provides latest information about Mumbai City and Mumbai Business information.

    There are large numbers of business categories in this website under which there are

    hundreds of company list. That may be useful either you want to do shopping or you want to

    extend as a business purpose.

    ReplyDelete