Friday, October 23, 2009

I cook what I like.

I am not sure why it is, but I cannot follow receipts when I cook. [My brothers will be able to say more on this.] Every time I am with the pots and pans, I want to try something a little different, just to experiment. Sometimes things go well; sometimes, they don't. That's the short term effect.

But in the long term, I think it kinda affects my memory about food. It is difficult for me to make either Chinese or Burmese food, because I am not sure which is which anymore. During my freshman year winter term at Carleton, I invited friends over, telling them I am making Burmese food, and when they saw meatballs, one of them went, "that's not Burmese, that's Chinese food!"

Today, the house help, Auntie Grace, in Nairobi asked me to cook her Chinese food. I looked at what's there at home and came up with this:

-caramelized chopped garlic and onions till slightly brown
-sprinkles some salt in
-threw in chopped green bell peppers and cabbage
-and some freshly squeezed orange juice + orange flesh (the white membrane finely cut)
-put in boiled spaghetti noodles
-black pepper, actually, it was salad dressing that tasted and looked like black pepper
-poured in the rest of the orange juice
-added the [pre]-fried eggs with onions and tomatoes
-a little more salt and some sugar
-the rest of the orange juice
-chopped cilantro, just about a minute before taking pan off the fire.

It didn't turn out too badly. Kinda has a refreshing taste. I ate more than I usually do for dinner and Auntie Grace said, "You ate so well today! You must be missing food from your country."

I hadn't told her that I would be sharing this recepie with my family when I go home in December.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you cook.

    Ah yes, I remember you told me you can't give me a recipe for spring rolls cos you just use whatever!

    ReplyDelete