Wednesday, August 12, 2009

4 seasons in a day.

Cape Town's weather is one of the most unpredictable. One minute it is raining and ~wala~ the sun shines, with perhaps a rainbow in the sky. This morning, I woke up to howling winds, and my bedroom window looked like it was covered by a grey sheet of plastic. And 10 minutes later, the only remnants of the storm are the waterdroplets left on the window pane.

That is probably why a lot of people has been falling sick. I was no exception. For the past 4 days, I had been watching sunrise and sunsets, lying under the comforters in my bed. I don't get sick easily, so when I do, I feel miserable. And I had really wanted to recover, so I slept from Saturday night until Monday morning, only waking up for breakfast and a bland dinner of boiled rice and cabbage ( I felt too weak to cook anything). I went to work on Tuesday, thinking I had recovered, but I was wrong. The classroom was in a cold dark container and I started coughing again. I don't know how the students in the High School are able to handle such cold environment... But I was shivering for a couple of hours even when I returned home.

And during these times when I can't be out doing things, and when my mind is left to wander, I miss home. I am sorry you have to read this ranting, but I guess a little complaining goes a long way, especially when I have another 20 weeks before returning home for 3.

In the time that I took to type this entry, the sky has turned from light blue to overcast. I think it would start another cycle of pouring.

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing how small little notes like this from another hemisphere can bring people together, but I too was sick yesterday and today. Spent most of my (very warm and humid) parisian day in bed instead of attending class and doing some site visits in the center of town. I too, very much had time to think, and tonight am missing home greatly.

    I hope you are now feeling better (it has been a week, I would hope you've recovered) and that you continue to enjoy your SAfrican adventures!

    ReplyDelete